Splitting Social Media

I've been struggling these last few weeks to reconcile the two goals I have for my social media accounts, so I'm splitting them.

On one hand, I want to express myself specifically to my friends and family members. I want to write about silly adventures and my publishing successes. I want to post anecdotes and philosophies and other things I find interesting.

On the other hand, I also want to write for writers. I want to be able to contribute to writing communities by reviewing resources, offering writing advice (whatever good my advice would do), and encouragement.

Instead of doing either of those things, I've been trying to write to some middle ground on this blog. As I've kicked up my social media habits in the last few weeks, my Instagram account has come to look positively schizophrenic. I'm alternating selfies with writing prompts, pictures of my dog with blog posts about writer's block. Who even is that person?

So, to maintain my sanity (as much as splitting into separate personas may seem insane), I've decided to start a separate platform for writing stuff. About Write is no longer just the name for my YouTube channel (videos forthcoming!), but it will also be just the general brand of mine geared toward writing for writers.

This way, I'm not spamming my family or flattening my writing-centric stuff. Also, I suspect this will help me get more warmed up for the YouTube series so I can hit the ground running when the studio is finished.

Thanks for everyone who's stuck around! When it's live (whenever the DNS changes kick in, that is), you'll be able to find my writing stuff at aboutwrite.carriecallahan.com, while you can keep coming here for all my personal stuff--plus book releases and all that (since I know you want to track that, fam ;} ).

See you around!

Comments

Popular Posts

NaNoWriMo: Here we go again!

Blocked